Tuesday, November 04, 2008

vote quote

Soterios Johnson, morning host of WNYC, had a great quote this morning, something along the lines of this, about what a historic day it is. I like that no one was left out:

"First Black president, oldest president, first woman, first Biden!"

Matthew, who is currently a reporter for the above linked station, will be covering polling problems tonight. Which is sad because reporters always have to work on holidays (like election day, which is enough of a holiday that we get to have parties and have alternate side parking canceled.)

But then again he's working a 2-10 shift today, which means he's around this morning and at least we can vote and work in a coffee shop together!

Are you voting? What was it like?

Oh, and one more thing: Matthew points out that if John McCain's grandmother had been very sick and required a visit a week before the election, I would have assumed that he'd scheduled it to draw positive and poignant attention to himself. (I was very exercised regarding canceling everything for hurricanes and financial crisis, etc., which seemed very opportunistic timewise.) I wonder whether I would have assumed that McCain had scheduled his own grandmother's death?

2 comments:

Mrs. Aitch said...

This is what it was like for me to vote: We marched right in and I gave my name, and they directed me directly to a booth, with no line. I was excited, because it was one of the booths with the levers like we had in Connecticut, where I last voted in 1990, rather than punching chads or connecting arrows or filling bubbles like we did in Texas, California, and Ohio. I boldly moved the big lever to the right, closing the curtain, and then immediately realized that I had no idea what I was supposed to do next. I couldn't put the lever back to the left, leave the booth, and ask for a tutorial, because then my turn would be over, without voting for anyone. I read in detail every bit of instruction available in the booth, which amounted to about 2 short sentences, and then took careful stock of everything else in the booth, lest I leave out something important. I was feeling pretty confident, until I noticed a pencil hanging on a string. What the heck is that for!?!

My other panic was realizing that I knew NOTHING about any of the races or questions being asked other than the president and vice president. (I blame the fact that I'm new to the area and just had a baby, but, really? I never am prepared for those other questions.)

I just tried to remain calm, and managed to vote. Once I was out of the booth, however, I found a big poster with instructions, and I swear it said that you switch the lever OVER your choice, but that in my booth it was the lever UNDER my choice. I was a little afraid I had accidentally voted Republican, and my husband outlined a scenario in which New York State surprises everyone by going red BY A SINGLE VOTE! Fortunately, that didn't happen, and I'm PRETTY sure I did manage to vote for Obama.

Meredith said...

Heather, that is hilarious. Maybe the pencil on the string is a tool with which to move aside the curtain without shifting the lever?

Was there another pencil on the outside of the curtain?